Kalamata State Airport or its full name Kalamata State Airport “Captain Bass. Constantacopoulos’ (IATA: KLX, ICAO: LGKL, YPA: (CCS) is located 9 km west of the city of Kalamata. It mainly receives charter flights during the summer months. Once a week, there’s a scheduled domestic flight from Thessaloniki.
The airport is located between Kalamata and Messina, adjacent to the Kalamata-Pylos National Road (82) (Pylos-Kalamata-Sparta) and the west of the railway lines, from which it is served by an adjacent railway station adjacent to the Pamiso River. The corridor is 3 km long. and the terminal is located in the southeast part of the corridor.
Kalamata airport bears its name, in honor of Captain and Shipowner Vassilis Konstantacopoulos, as he was seen as the initiator of the upgrading of Kalamata airport, bringing up new air carriers (Aegean Airlines, etc.), new charter routes, ultimately helping to connect the Midsenian capital with various parts of Europe
Just opposite the terminal is the “120 Air Training Wing” (120 RPM), which also uses the airport site.
Kalamata State Airport began operations in 1959. The first charter flights from abroad have started using the airport since 1986. Increased traffic led to the creation of a new terminal in 1991. Since this year, the airport has been under the jurisdiction of the Civil Aviation Authority.
In 2016, Aegean Airlines first added routes to Stockholm, Düsseldorf, Munich and Paris, an initiative that significantly boosted traffic.
Accidents and incidents
On October 16, 1971, an aircraft of the Olympic Airways type YS-11A was hijacked. He had left Kalamata State Airport and